Part C

Creative writing this year has been a blast, and there were many parts throughout the semester where I enjoyed writing and letting my feeling out.  There were times though where activities would inspire me to write. I know that if you look at my blog you may think that it is all heartbreak and sorrow (you may be right), but I have plans for the future of this blog and how it will change over time. Creative writing was an opportunity that couldn’t be passed up, the people in the room are there to help and make you a better writer. If not for the activities or aha moments I don’t think I would be talking properly right now. I have so many moments that I would like to share but I can only choose three that really inspired me to write.

First is the walks; for me personally, I am a huge fan of peace and quiet. These walks allowed us to walk down to Edworthy Park and sit and write about what we want. One day I was writing about the flow of the river and the ecosystem that surround it, all I could hear was the drops of water hitting the base of the bridge, while the wind spoke by hitting the leaves on the trees (when they were still there), and the birds were singing through the breeze. I find that getting away from cities or towns is a real privilege because the less noise the more you can focus on what you are doing.

The second was the Elderly writing. We were given the greatest opportunity of interviewing a man named Niel W. He talked about his life story and how he was in the Vietnam war, but most importantly he discussed with us about how he was from Oklahoma and traveled to Nova Scotia, then to Calgary, Alberta. I found this was a great source of inspiration and life lessons. He talked about how he was diagnosed early with a disease and throughout his life, he knew he was going to die and in one line in the poem Zain (http://capricorngem.edublogs.org) and I were told about an experience where he had a gun held to his head and he asked the man to shoot, luckily it misfired and he is still alive. I found this very inspirational for me and the other students in Creative writing.

Lastly, I found that the colour exercise was an interesting because it made me think of different objects and feelings that go with the specific colours. It was difficult to link the subjects, but I figured out that some work and others don’t. It makes you think hard about how subjects can be linked based off of the colours you pick to write about. It is a great lesson to learn that linking subjects together doesn’t always work, but some do.

This year I have read very little, I wish I could have read a little bit more and right now I just started reading the third book in the Magnus Chase series (Nordic Mythology), but after I finish that book I would like to read “The Glass Castle” and poems by Shane Koyzen. I want to read a lot more in the second semester of my final year in my school. The book that I enjoyed reading was my writer’s seminar book by George Orwell 1984. Reading has improved my writing I believe by learning new words and looking at other writers structures in their works.

The new work that I am currently working on is more poems, I’m not going to be giving any hints out but it will be out on the flash poetry page of the blog. Some accomplishments that I would like to share is obviously how my writing is improving, sure I need to work on it a little more, and I love getting help from my other classmates.

The big question, will I be in Creative writing next year? No, I will not be due to me graduating; however, I will be coming back to visit and maybe write in creative writing, but for now, I am taking a year off to work and build a foundation for myself before I get into university.

To improve as a writer, like I said I will take advice from others, and lastly practice, practice, and even more practice.